Feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best to answer.


Wednesday, April 17, 2013

ADAM ARTist 5

Well it definitely doesn't have the midrange peak/notch of the AX series.  No real surprise.  There was also no rattling going on with these when measuring.  Much appreciated.

These are pretty poor measurements(I mean my technique/care not the speaker's output).

I had it set to 15kHz upper limit and a lot of clutter around the speaker which I mostly windowed out.  Anyway, enough fat:



No surprise that taking the grill off improves things a bit, but none the less these are great either way.  Just to compare it with the AX5:

The difference is pretty small really.  Wish the A5X was rear ported.  I prefer its more industrial looks.

2 comments:

  1. Hey

    I'm looking for new speakers to enjoy music at my pc workplace. The distance to the speakers is ~1,20m, distance between speakers is 1,3m. The problem is, the room is only 2,2m wide. The distance from the wall to the center of the tweeter is ~45cm. I already point my current speakers to my ears, to minimize reflections in the midrange. Absorbers are not a option, because the left wall is an outer wall which is prone to fungi, if I place objects to close.

    Looking at your graphs and graphs from "Sound&Recording" magazine, speakers with a pronounced waveguide like JBL LSR, B1030A, B2031, HR624 and so on, emit less energy to the horizontal/vertical plane than Adam Artist 5 and KRK. I assume by emitting less energy to the horizontal/vertical plane, the stereo imaging will become more precise, phantom sources become sharper, compared to Adam Artist 5 and KRK. I'm aware that waveguides don't work for deep frequencies. About 800Hz seems to be the point, where the emitted energy spreads to all sides really wide.

    So, whats your opinion about my situation, when phantom sources have a high priority and what would you suggest?

    By the way, If you register at Thomann you can download the complete review from "Sound&Recording" of the Adam Artist 5, which includes directivity plots and other measurements.

    www.thomann.de/gb/prod_review_26810_AR_260414.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is: the speakers with narrow dispersion horizontally have extremely narrow dispersion vertically. Listening at such a close distance will make an optimal listening position extremely small. Too small for any narrow directivity speakers I know of. It's a tough place to be and I don't know what's the best idea.

    ReplyDelete